Modern Ways to Build Trust and Transparency in the Workplace
August 22, 2023
by Matt Cromar
We all know trust and transparency in the workplace are key to employee engagement and retention. But do you know why? Research suggests that when employees have access to good communication at work, they are more satisfied with their jobs directly influencing retention rates. And employers where managers are high-performing communicators generally benefit from higher shareholders returns and more success with strategic change initiatives.
Frontline workers stand at the crossroads of success and failure for many businesses. As the face of your company to the outside world, their performance, satisfaction, and loyalty can profoundly impact business outcomes. Improving communication is arguably the best way to start building trust and transparency in the workplace—since it boosts efficiency and happiness at the same time.
With the ever-evolving workforce, it’s imperative to understand the significance of effectively communicating with these workers and the role that workforce management (WFM) systems play in this dynamic. Let’s explore the impact of using employee communication software, which your WFM solution should include.
The Importance of Communicating with Frontline Workers
Most frontline workers do not have access to traditional communications channels available to members of the corporate workforce. Email, instant messaging, and file sharing are all tools used to help operations, HR, and payroll teams within a company to communicate and help foster a connection with each other and with the company’s mission. Embedding frontline communications tools within WFM applications that enable intelligent automation can have positive impacts.
- Building a two-way street: For frontline workers, feeling disconnected from the company’s core can breed disengagement and dissatisfaction. Active communication ensures these workers feel valued, heard, and connected to the bigger picture.
- Driving better decision-making: The more connected the frontline workers are, the better they can make real-time decisions that align with the company’s objectives and customer expectations.
- Boosting morale and productivity: When workers feel they’re kept in the loop, their morale improves. An informed employee is a motivated and productive one.
The Role of WFM Systems in Building Trust and Transparency in the Workplace
Traditional WFM systems are rigid, often focusing only on operational needs. However, the workforce is evolving, and so should our tools. Effective frontline worker communications in modern WFM systems bridge the trust gap between employees and management by providing three key capabilities that impact effective communications.
- Real-time updates and feedback loops: Modern WFM systems provide real-time updates about shifts, demand forecasts, and other essential data. This keeps the worker informed and allows instantaneous feedback, creating a seamless two-way communication channel.
- Empowerment through autonomy: WFM systems that offer self-service features such as shift swapping or leave requests provide workers with a sense of autonomy and trust. They no longer wait in the dark for approvals or changes, leading to increased satisfaction.
- Visibility and fairness: Transparency in scheduling, timekeeping, and other WFM functions ensures that all employees feel they’re treated fairly. When everyone has visibility into the process, trust in the system grows organically.
Why Communication Capabilities in WFM Applications are Non-Negotiable
In a digital age where information is power, having robust communication capabilities in WFM applications is not just a ‘nice-to-have’ but a necessity.
This is especially true for retailers or businesses which rely on a young workforce, where communication through modern technology is expected, not just preferred.
- Accessibility: Mobile applications provide information right at your fingertips. Whether about upcoming shifts or company announcements, WFM apps ensure that every worker, regardless of location, is always informed.
- Engagement: Engaged employees are the backbone of any successful business. Through interactive WFM applications, businesses can run polls, gather feedback, or even training sessions, ensuring their frontline workers remain engaged and connected.
- Operational efficiency: Efficient communication means faster resolution of issues. Whether it’s a scheduling conflict or a clarification about a task, WFM apps streamline communications, leading to quicker solutions and smoother operations.
How Legion is Pioneering the New Age of Frontline Communication
At Legion, we understand the significance of frontline worker communication. Our approach is twofold: employee centricity combined with the power of intelligent automation. With an easy-to-use, intuitive interface, frontline workers on Legion WFM have instant access to company communications on their first day of work.
We believe that clarity on company goals, accountability on ownership at all levels, and open and honest communications are made possible with the following characteristics of our WFM platform:
- High engagement metrics: Users of Legion WFM have consistently reported elevated engagement levels. Our intuitive design and user-friendly interface ensure that employees don’t just use the app out of necessity but because it adds genuine value to their work lives.
- Flexibility in scheduling: We recognize the modern workforce’s need for flexibility. That’s why our communications often revolve around managing flexible schedules. With accurate demand forecasts, we intelligently generate schedules that match employee preferences while ensuring operational demands are met.
- Seamless automation: Legion simplifies tasks like matching punches to shifts and automating timesheet creation. Such features ensure accuracy, reduce administrative overheads, and build trust among employees about the fairness and transparency of the process.
In conclusion, the future of successful businesses lies in effective communication with frontline workers. As HR professionals, we must ensure our WFM systems are equipped to foster this communication so that we can ensure trust and transparency in the workplace.
With its unique blend of cutting-edge technology and employee-centric design, Legion is primed to lead this change. Partner with us, and together we can create a workforce that’s not just efficient but also engaged, motivated, and, most importantly, trusting. Request a demo to learn more about Legion Frontline Communications—our award-winning employee communication software.